History of the Ebenezer Boyd House

Country Inn Tavern Captain Ebenezer Boyd, who along with his wife, saw considerable service with General Washington's forces during the revolution, constructed the house to serve as a tavern and his home in 1780. The house stayed in the hands of the Boyd family until Ebenezer's Grandson sold it to John A. Bennett in the mid-nineteenth century.

John Bennett named the house The Country Inn. It has had some form of this name ever since.

One half of the house was constructed in 1780. The second half was added in the early nineteenth century. As far as we can tell, the house was continuously used as an inn for more than 150 years. Until 1996, it had eleven bedrooms compared to five currently.

The house was ineptly modified in the mid-twentieth century. It fell into disrepair in the 1980's and 1990's. It had to be completely renovated in 1997 and 1998 or it would have been lost. We attempted to restore the rooms to their original size. The post and beam framework, the roof and most of the flooring are original.
birch tree

If Boyd's Reservoir is drained you can enter the reservoir area and explore old roadways, bridge sites, a military camp and several building locations. The old Post Road, now known as Peekskill Hollow Road, can be followed down into the valley and along the stream bed. Broken pieces of pottery are still in evidence around the abandoned building sites at the bottom of the reservoir, leading us to believe other treasures may be found.

The local Town of Kent historical society publication describing area history has a picture of a political rally on the front lawn of the house dated to the Civil War period.

rose garden Older area maps show the small community of Kent Cliffs at the intersection of Route 301 and Peekskill Hollow Road. The Ebenezer Boyd house was the center of this community. There are only two houses from the early days of Kent Cliffs that have been preserved, the Ebenezer Boyd house and the house across the street. An old church and other old buildings in the area of the house have deteriorated beyond repair or have been demolished. All other existing buildings within this small community are fairly modern in comparison.

Ludington marker There is a small historical marker across Peekskill Hollow Road from the house stating that Sibyl Ludington traveled this route to warn the residents of the approaching British Army during the revolutionary period. This claim is indeed more accurate than the tale of Paul Revere doing the same to the North. A statue of this local heroine is located in the town of Carmel, five miles to the East.

We have no hard evidence that George Washington ever slept here, but some local historians claim that he did because he was good friends with Ebenezer Boyd and frequently traveled through the area.

The Ebenezer Boyd house is located approximately at the geographical center of Putnam County. This area was sparsely populated during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Because of its central location, the Ebenezer Boyd house was the site of many community functions for more than a century.

road

Home